[K12OSN] [OT]router howto

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Jul 24 15:34:55 UTC 2005

First, we've got to see if your routing parameters in your DHCP scope
are right.  Have your DHCP clients ping the  router that is upstream
from your GNU/Linux router; this will be your ISP's router, probably a
Cisco or Juniper router of some sort.  I'm assuming here that your
GNU/Linux router is directly connected to your ISP with nothing else
(cable modem, DSL router, other firewall, etc.) in between.  If that
doesn't work, then make sure that your GNU/Linux router can get to it;
if it can't, then nothing will be able to.  If it can, though, then
check your IP Masquerading rules.  This assumes you're using RFC 1918
"private" IP addresses; if not, then don't worry about masquerading rules.

Once all that's working, then we've got to try connectivity past your
ISP's router.  Try pinging an IP address instead of a domain name.  A
good one is 198.6.1.2, which is one of UUNet's main DNS servers.  If you
can, then the problem probably is the DNS server parameters in your DHCP
scope.

My guess is that, once you get connectivity to your ISP's router from
your clients, then going to the Internet will also work.

--TP