[K12OSN] [OT]router howto

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Jul 24 21:34:23 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 14:40, Dale Sykora wrote:
>

>>Terrell,
>>	My client and server can ping 198.6.1.2 and 66.94.234.13(a yahoo.com
>>address) but my client cannot ping yahoo.com.  Thus it appears to be a
>>dns issue.  Below is a copy of my dhcpd.conf, iptables, and route.  What
>>other info would be useful to post?
>>
>>  [root at rlm ~]# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
>>ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
>>subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
>>{
>>         option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255;
>>         deny bootp;
>>         option domain-name "robert.morton";
>>         option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
>>

>Does the server (10.0.0.1) use itself for DNS (look
>at /etc/resolv.conf) and if so, does it work).  Try
>'dig' at the server and client.

I agree.  It looks like you're pointing your clients to use 10.0.0.1 for
DNS resolution, which I'm guessing is the IP address of your GNU/Linux
router.  If this is true, then is this router also running a DNS server
(e. g. BIND or djbdns)?  If not, then you will either need to stand up a
DNS server and reflect that in your dhcpd.conf, or you can simply use
the DNS server(s) that your ISP gave you.  I have one internally (my
K12LTSP server, which I'm using to type this email), so that's what I use.

--TP