[K12OSN] Can't log in as root at all. (Using SMB-LDAP) - nscd crashes

John Hegarty jh at clongowes.net
Tue Jul 26 09:48:11 UTC 2005

[Krsnendu dasa said]

I was not able to log in as root until just now. I decided to turn off
nscd
to see what would happen. Guess what? Now I did su from terminal and got
into root account. Yippee!!! I don't know if turning off nscd had
anything
to do with it but it is working so I am happy.

[John Hegarty replies]

I have the same problem. What I noticed is that whenever I try to log on
from a windows box (not just root) nscd seems to crash which prevents
authentication. From what I understand nscd isn't needed but it helps
speed things up, as it caches information. I turned it off and had no
further problems. I am only running in a test environment at the moment
but would prefer to have everything working right before September. I'm
using the current beta version (4.4.0-pre-2) and the alpa smbldap
script.

jh