[K12OSN] KVM and Fedora Mouse Issue

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Jul 28 01:35:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 18:15 -0700, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> As a related mouse issue came up, I googled a bit to figure out how to
> solve my wacko mouse issue after switching back to my K12LTSP server
> that uses Fedora.
>
> Here is a good solution that worked for me:
>
> http://www.bernzilla.com/item.php?id=405
>
> ================================
>
> First, open a command prompt and make sure you have root privileges
> (e.g. use the command su -). Type vi /boot/grub/grub.conf and edit the
> line in the file that starts with kernel so that it contains the
> argument psmouse.proto=bare. For example, mine now reads (on a single
> line):
>
>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>     psmouse.proto=bare rhgb quiet
>
> ================================
>
> Hope this helps someone else!

You could have knocked me over with a feather after I looked into the
background to your post!!  That is, as in that link you gave and the
bugzilla entry it leads to, _I_ use a Belkin KVM - a 2-port one.
However, I've never seen the erratic behaviour after switching between
machines - like the bug cited - just the frozen mouse after my PC
"verynices" an app.  Tim didn't mention using the KVM in my related
thread, so it may not be the cause of mouse trouble in our case.

I'll try the grub config you pointed to, but in the meantime I'll have
to give up playing games 'cause that's where all the trouble starts for
my mouse :-(

Thanks for your post.

Gavin.