[K12OSN] [OT] Firewire or USB2 in a softRAID setup

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Jul 29 14:56:12 UTC 2005

> Yeah -- I *have* them already.  :)  The setup will ideally be:
>
> (2) 300GB drives internally (IDE)
> (4) 300GB firewire drives
> (2) 300GB USB2 drives
>
> For a 2.1TB RAID5 array.  Like I said, I have all the
> equipment already.
>   If the conversion of our tapes to digital format (playable over our
> network) is deemed worthwhile, then I'll go with an actual beefier
> server to manage the storage.  I'm trying to shoestring the
> thing now,
> because it's only in the trial stage.

You could always gut the cases for the drives and then order a
controller.  I have done this before.  Then I keep the cases and cut a
slot in the top, pull the IDE ribbon cable through, then glue a mouse
pad (upside down) to the top and cut to fit.  Then I use these cases for
running utilities, data transfer, etc on HD's from other machines.  Very
handy.

Of course finding a machine laying around that handles 8 HDs might be
tough.