[K12OSN] Samba/LDAP Management questions (Webmin,LAM,IDEALX SMC)

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 19:27:33 UTC 2005

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
>>If you use the smbldap-userbulkadd scripts it's quite easy to
>>tweak got set
>>quota's. I've altered / hacked the script for myself to set
>>quotas and I had
>>started work on allowing this as an configurable option in
>>the userinfo.in file
>>but got a bit snowed under when I started our main roll out
>>for the year.
>

> I see that Matt Oquist's newest version of the installer (2.0-alpha)
> says it allows for use of disk quotas, but I have no idea how to use it.
> If you have the info on what to hack in the smbldap-userbulkadd script I
> wouldn't mind taking a peek at it.

Ah I sent him my script a while back and I thought he either hadn't got
it or just ignored it as a horrible hack :-)

>>Yes WEBMIN rocks *grin*, I tend to use it in combination with
>>LAM & the shell
>>scripts to manage things. You can alter LAM to allow spaces
>>etc. If you have a
>>look on the LAM site and if they have an archive of mail look
>>through this as I
>>asked the question a couple of months back but I've forgot
>>the answer :-\
>

> So you use the Webmin LDAP Users and Groups module?  If I had the
> correct properties to set in the module config I don't think I would
> need anything else.  It currently views and modifies all users, I just
> need the correct stuff to set in LDAP attributes for creation of new
> users.  Any tips?

Sorry no, I just use it to alter users not create them. I quite like
using the command line so I just create a csv file and use Matt's script
for one user.

> I don't mind using the smbldap-userbulkadd and delete scripts once a
> year to handle mass user tasks.  But I assume if I had the right
> settings for the module config I could just use the bulk add in webmin.
>
> I'll check the LAM site to find the fix for the space problem.  Does
> your LAM add users correctly?  Like I said mine works perfect except it
> does not create the users /home folder for them, if I could fix that
> piece this would work as well.
>
> I am so close to getting all of these stupid things to work, I just have
> a bug in each.  Like I said, I don't care which one I use, just so it
> works :-)

Hang in there, it'll finally give in *grin*

Brian