Re: [K12OSN] Hardware questions

On 6/30/05, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak rogers com> wrote:
> You need speed on a Linux terminal server, so RAID 1 would be a better
> choice (IMO).  Since you're losing space by moving to RAID 1, move up to
> 73 GB drives.  Use LVM to partition the drives, and you'll be able to
> move partitions around easily, as needed.

RAID 1 is not faster than a single drive at writing. Maybe reading but
not writing.  Plus there is a performance hit on the cpu. I also have
2 scsi drives and I use one for / and the other for /home.  The depth
of your TCQ on scsi drives is usually 32 but when you use RAID it is
lowered to (I think) 8. Therebye relying more so on the OS to do the
ordering of reads and writes. Also upgrading your home is easier. Plus
I find restores easier if I'm not using a RAID setup.

--
Robert Arkiletian