[K12OSN] re: Bulk-add script problem with SMB/LDAPInstaller

Yep, Dave, I'm on it.  Just hadn't had a chance to reply yet.  Silly
day job getting in the way... ;)

>    1. Bulk-add script problem with SMB/LDAP Installer from	Oquist
>       and Trask (Jim Kronebusch)
>   20. RE: Bulk-add script problem with SMB/LDAPInstallerfromOquist
>       (cliebow downeast net)
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:14:20 -0500
> From: "Jim Kronebusch" <jim winonacotter org>
> Subject: [K12OSN] Bulk-add script problem with SMB/LDAP Installer from
> 	Oquist and Trask
> To: <k12osn redhat com>
>
> I am trying to run the smbldap-useradd-bulk script included with the
> SMB/LDAP Installer provided by David and Matt.  I have created a
> userinfo.names with the following:
> Firstname,Lastname,username,groupid,password

Which version of the Samba/LDAP Installer are you using?

The beta (now gamma) version has some changes that could have made
a difference.  I've updated the site to mention this; sorry that
wasn't clear before.  8-o  ( http://majen.net/smbldap/ )

I've started adding in quota support (assisted by Brian Chivers), and
that's added a new input field to smbldap-useradd-bulk.  So your
password field may very well be misinterpreted.

BTW, I'll also mention that if you want to create all your users with
the same default password, you can change the smbldap-useradd-bulk
line in the Makefile from this:

users: $(START)
		$(PERL) create-usernames -a -i -f $(START) -o $(NAMES)
		$(PERL) smbldap-useradd-bulk -f $(NAMES) -o $(FINISH)

to this:
$(PERL) smbldap-useradd-bulk -p default=password -f $(NAMES) -o $(FINISH)

That will give each user the password "password".

> Not sure what the last item is, it almost looks like a automatically
> generated password.  I cannot log in with these new users either with

I expect that it is.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 20
> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:34:16 GMT
> From: cliebow downeast net
> Subject: RE: [K12OSN] Bulk-add script problem with
> 	SMB/LDAPInstallerfromOquist
> To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
> 	<k12osn redhat com>

How do you prompt for a pw change at first login?  Does that happen on
every platform?

> i dont know just how you have your directory set up  but
> fwiw i have my script set up to create just one password for all users,
> with prompt for pw change at first login for all users..So i really dont
> care what pw they put in at start of school year..If they forget i just
> reset sambaPassworustChange back to 0 set the pw back to the original ..and
> they take care of
> themselves..chuck

--matt