[K12OSN] PCMCIA Boot Capabilities

I'm new to using K12LTSP and was trying to configure bootable media
for older laptops. They lack an onboard ethernet controller, and as
such I have to use PCMCIA devices for networking. I've found some
support for PCMCIA boot disks (specifically
wireless_ltsp-3.0.5-i386.tgz), but the devices that I use aren't
supported. One FAQ that I read recommended compiling a kernal with
specific drivers and making a boot disk from that. However, I don't
have enough experience with Linux to take that step. Does anyone know
if someone else has undertaken something like this? If so, are there
boot disk files available?

Thanks,
Ben