[K12OSN] Betas available?

Liam Marshall lsrpm-1 at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 2 16:39:37 UTC 2005

Henry Hartley wrote:

>On: Thu, June 30, 2005 12:15 AM, Liam Marshall said:
>

>>>I will wait for the new release when you get back from holidays Eric,
>>>but do you have some recent betas I could try?  I don't care about
>>>anything else not working perfect yet, I just want to see if my pesky
>>>sound issue has been resolved.
>>>
>>>I love the product but spent the last year unsuccessfully trying to
>>>

>get
>

>>>sound to work for my elementary teachers, who say it is a must
>>>

>You'll find Eric's latest betas of 4.4.0 (beta 3 as of right now) here:
>
>    ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.4.0/iso/
>    rsync -Pav k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us::K12LTSP-beta/* .

I tried the betas directly on 1 of the workstations with a hard drive
just to check if it worked with the sound card.  I figured if it worked
with a direct install on that machine then the sound stood a better
chance of working when the workstation was used as a thin client

it does not work.  I tried the same thing with a copy of Suse 9.1 I have
and it worked right away.  This leads me to believe that I should be
able to get it to work with K12ltsp, but I don't know how.  Does it have
something to do with the kernel?  drivers?  I am at a loss and have
never recompiled a kernel but would be willing to try if someone could
point me in the right direction.  The 2 different workstations I have
are Dell Optiplex GX1's and IBM 300PLs.  Both have onboard sound
(crystal chipset)  both when loaded with Windows have the sound
working.  Both have sound working with Suse 9.1

I want to stay with K12LTSP but the elementary teachers really want to
have sound for educational games and websites

PLEASE HELP

Desperate