[K12OSN] K12Linux Legacy Pc's

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Jul 6 16:18:13 UTC 2005

The rule of thumb is a Pentium class machine is the 'lowest' you want to use for
clients.  Machines with 486 chips can be made to work, but they tend to be frustratingly
sluggish at best, and since they often don't have PCI slots, getting the NIC and sound
cards recognized is much harder.  A 100mhz Pentium with 32MB of RAM will work very
nicely.  I recall that someone on the list did some benchmarks a couple years ago, and
found that there wasn't any benefit for the client to be any faster than 166mhz and 32MB
RAM. Faster, more memory didn't hurt, but the users didn't perceive any better
performance.  And the performance difference between a 75mhz client and 166mhz client is
small.

Petre