Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.4.0 pre1 AND 4.2.1EL

On 7/6/05, Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us> wrote:
> There will be little changed from the current 4.2.1EL "testing" ISOs,
> mostly just the official updates since the last ISOs were built.

That's super.  Just in case anyone is interested those updates should
include dual core support. You can now buy a Pentium D 2.8Ghz dual
core cpu. Then buy a  LGA775  motherboard with 4 ram slots max out
with 4 gigs-o-ram  and dual GB lan and you've got yourself a very
affordable server. Note: the new intel 945/955 chipsets have the ICH7
southbridge which has AHCI which has NCQ support of the SATA II spec.
Jeff Garzik is currently in the process of adding sata ncq support to
the kernel. So I figure it will probably be x-mas by the time Redhat
patches RHEL4 to have it. So, no more need for expensive scsi drives.
For about $1,400 one can get a complete killer server (monitor
included) capable of supporting 40 clients.

--
Robert Arkiletian