[K12OSN] Way off topic - Windows batch file question

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Jul 8 14:10:47 UTC 2005

Sorry for the nature of this post, but I think there are Windows wizards
out here as well.

I have a Win2000 server and a pair of Iomega 160GB usb hard drives.  I
need to back up to these drives.  I can set whatever backup program to
back up to drive x:.  I need to be able to swap these drives weekly and
take one off site.  Problem is when I plug in one drive it assigns drive
h: to it, the other gets i: assigned to it.  This causes my backup
program to get stupid.

I am thinking I can solve this by placing a simple batch file in the
Windows scheduler that deletes drive x:, runs a quick check for which
drive is available h: or i:, then has an if statement duplicate h: to x:
if h: exists, if h: doesn't exist and i: does exist the duplicate i: to
x:.

Does this make any sense?  This just seems like it could save a lot of
money on tape drives if it is figured out.

Thanks

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188