Re: [K12OSN] Re: SMBLDAP script with Fedora Core 4? (John Baillie)

Matt Oquist wrote:

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:31:40 -0400
From: John Baillie <jbaillie stmarys-school org>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] SMBLDAP script with Fedora Core 4?

Just curious, why not deploy on FC3 (which has already proved it's self)
on existing known good hardware?

John

That's definitely what I would recommend. In general it's a much better idea to stick with tried-and-true solutions in high-pressure situations. Who's to say that even if you get Samba/LDAP working the next problem won't be just as vexing?

One of the beautiful things about FOSS is that you have control over
your own upgrade cycle; nobody can force you to upgrade (unless you
have support contracts).  I understand the appeal of wanting to run
the newest stuff, especially since you will have other FC4/K12LTSP4.4
servers later and you'd like this one to match them.  But it's not
worth the pain you're experiencing, IMO.

Anyhow, I'm d/ling FC4 right now, but I won't get to testing it before
tonight, and in any case I'll only be testing the 32-bit version.

--matt