Re: [K12OSN] local USB devices (flash drive) on K12LTSP 4.4

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, David Trask wrote:

> Jim McQuillan <jam mcquil com> on Saturday, July 9, 2005 at 12:00 PM +0000
> wrote:
> >David,
> >
> >I'm not sure just what Eric has incorporated into k12ltsp, but in
> >straight ltsp, hotplug usb memory sticks are working great.  we're still
> >having some issues with floppies and cdroms that sometimes look like a
> >file in Nautilus, instead of a folder.
> >
> >BUT, Scott and I have been working hard on this everynight for the past
> >week, and we're making great progress.  We should have something ready
> >for general testing within the next couple of weeks. And whatever we
> >come up with should drop easily onto a k12ltsp system.
>
> Very cool!  I suspected as much and I'm not afraid of doing it myself
> either....I was simply wondering.  I'm agonizing over little things this
> summer as I have nothing to "invent" like last summer when I had to
> completely rewrite my Samba/LDAP setup...thanks to the guys at Samba
> changing everything around  *bastards  ;-)*  Now I'm getting ready to
> implement my first TRULY thin-client lab (the little devices like the Term
> 150's I already have)....so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go.
> While I have your attention...what's the sound issue with the new Term
> 140?  Has it been figured out?  It's an attractive model, but the sound is
> a MUST in a school.  Just curious...

The sound problem on the T-140 is the driver for the audio chip.  I had
a hard time getting my hands on the driver source code, but fortunately,
I now have the code.  I've just not had a chance to integrate it into
the LTSP kernels.  Once I get the local dev stuff further along, I'll
look at putting out a new kernel.

If anybody wants to build their own kernel and include the driver, let
me know, and I'll send you the code.

Thanks,
Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org