[K12OSN] I need opinions....backup idea for when Terminal server down and I'm not around

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Sat Jul 9 18:19:35 UTC 2005

I'll chime in David.

We have found K12LTSP to be pretty darn stable.

>From January - May we had to reboot one of the K12 servers that feeds
the lab once. The other one was up the whole school year. And we had to
reboot the K12 server that feeds the terminals in the 3rd and 4th grade
classes once. These are in heavy use every day.

It's quicker to reboot the server than bring 28 seats up to an
alternative OS. I'll bet someone on your staff would be willing to learn
the basic steps to recycle the server. Of course this will only need to
be done when indeed and in-fact out of town!

With the students /home on a dedicated server the power recycle of a
server is no hassle at all. I agree with the comment of adding an
additional server. Last week someone posted a server configuration for
1500.00 that should in their opinion run 40 clients. That may be pushing
it a little but it might work well for 28 clients.

We are very happy with our Compaq EN SFF PII and PIII small foot print
and can be found on ebay for 50 -75 and they boot off the on board nic.
But I look forward to swapping them out for JTerms when the budget
allows.

BTW I won an LTSP Term 150 workstation, LTSP on CD and LTSP Polo! at
NECC. Thanks disklessworkstations.com!

John