[K12OSN] local USB devices (flash drive) on K12LTSP 4.4

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Jul 10 04:12:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 20:56 -0700, Eric Harrison wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Gavin Chester wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 10:17 -0700, Eric Harrison wrote:
> >> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Jim McQuillan wrote:
> > -snip-
> >
> >> K12LTSP does include a tweak to the mtools/floppyd configuration
> >> that lets it work with USB memory sticks. Try inserting a thumb drive
> >> into a terminal and click on the "Floppy Drive" icon.
> >
> > I've not worked out how to access this feature on a desktop sans icons,
> > as comes with Xfce.  I guess IceWM users would have the same issue
> > without desktop icons.  So, how _do_ I access removable from terminal
> > utilising the tweaks you wrote to make it easy, Eric?
>
> The "floppy icon" just runs MToolsFM. So create a launcher (or whatever
> they happen to call it in Xfce) for that application and you should
> be good to go.
>
> -Eric

I'm having a dumb attack here, Eric.  Typing mtoolsfm from a terminal is
no go.  So, I went looking for it:

[gavin at local ~]$ locate mtoolsfm
/etc/mtoolsfm.conf

[gavin at local ~]$ locate mtools
/usr/bin/mtools
/usr/bin/mtoolstest
/usr/share/zsh/4.2.0/functions/_mtools
/usr/share/info/mtools.info.gz
/usr/share/doc/mtools-3.9.9
/usr/share/doc/mtools-3.9.9/README
/usr/share/doc/mtools-3.9.9/Changelog
/usr/share/doc/mtools-3.9.9/Release.notes
/usr/share/doc/mtools-3.9.9/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/mtools-3.9.9
/usr/share/man/man5/mtools.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/mtoolstest.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/mtools.1.gz
/usr/lib/syslinux/syslinux-nomtools

[gavin at local ~]$ which mtoolsfm
/usr/bin/which: no mtoolsfm in
(/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/gavin/bin)

So, mtools can be invoked with /usr/bin/mtools, but then I have to enter
the command parameters to make it function.  Should I RTFM to get mtools
working??  But, it seems that you've made it easier than this, so why is
mtoolsfm apparently useless on my standard k12ltsp v4.2.0 without
desktop icons?

--
Regards,
        Gavin Chester