Re: [K12OSN] Fedora Directory Server? Who has seen it?

I am currently using FDS in a test environment, having held off on a migration
from an aging Netscape Directory server to OpenLDAP for the past two years. It
looks like that delay paid off :) FDS has a Java GUI for management (which I
like, because I'm familiar with it) but also all the standard LDAP CLI tools as
well. It has true multi-master support, so a single server doesn't constitute
a single point of failure, like you would have with a master->slave replication
scenario, where you lost the master server.

You might find the following thread helpful, from a recent discussion on the FDS
users list:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-directory-users/2005-July/msg00044.html

Kevin

Quoting David Trask <dtrask vcsvikings org>:

Ok....I ask this question simply to find out who has had some experience
with it....I will probably check it out Monday at school (where my
sandboxes are).  Who among you has installed or laid eyes upon Fedora
Directory Server?  Does it have a nice GUI?  Is it simple to configure?
And do you configure via command line or GUI?  Henry?  I know you've seen
something...

My concern....FDS may be really cool, but it is at this point Fedora and
Solaris (as well as RH) only.  This makes things interesting if you want
to run Ubuntu servers.....hence the need to keep Samba/LDAP on the front
burner as well.  FDS does pique my interest though.....

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcsvikings org