[K12OSN] Fedora Directory Server? Who has seen it? (David Trask)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Sun Jul 10 21:18:13 UTC 2005

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:51:31 -0400
> From: "David Trask" <dtrask at vcsvikings.org>
> Subject: [K12OSN] Fedora Directory Server?  Who has seen it?
>
> Ok....I ask this question simply to find out who has had some experience
> with it....I will probably check it out Monday at school (where my
> sandboxes are).  Who among you has installed or laid eyes upon Fedora
> Directory Server?  Does it have a nice GUI?  Is it simple to configure?
> And do you configure via command line or GUI?  Henry?  I know you've seen
> something...
>
> My concern....FDS may be really cool, but it is at this point Fedora and
> Solaris (as well as RH) only.  This makes things interesting if you want
> to run Ubuntu servers.....hence the need to keep Samba/LDAP on the front
> burner as well.  FDS does pique my interest though.....

FDS is definitely something to be working on.  But you're spot-on with
the fact that it currently only runs on RH-based OSes, and remember
that it still needs Samba to authentication Windows machines.  There's
a how-to (which might look familiar) here:
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Samba

FDS is a potential replacement for OpenLDAP, not a replacement for
"Samba/LDAP".

Also, it still uses the Berkeley DB so it can't be more robust than
OpenLDAP in that respect (though I don't have any depth of knowledge
about how the two projects actually use BDB).

--matt