Re: [K12OSN] I need opinions....backup idea for when Terminal server down and I'm not around

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Jim McQuillan wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

Jim McQuillan wrote:

Hmm,  hot-pluggable, but not redundant?  /me wonders what's the point.
if a non-redundant power supply fails, everything goes cold  :)

But, you make excellent points, and I agree completely.

/you wonders with reasonable cause - obviously not nearly as good as
redundant.  But if hot-pluggable then you can have a spare sitting on the
shelf and switch easily, probably without a screwdriver, thus replacement
involves significantly less down-time and could be done by a non-technical
person.

Good point, but I don't think i've ever seen a hotswap powersupply cage that only holds 1 power supply. most of them hold two. Then, rather
<snip>

Some of the old Intel rack servers we have (SR2000's ?) are equiped with
only one swappable power supply. We have a stack of "cold spares" in case
one ever fails. (which has never happened, if we didn't have the spares
I assume they all would have failed ;-)

-Eric