[K12OSN] HP Laserjet Printer w/embedded jetdirect print server

Liam Marshall lsrpm-1 at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 12 03:18:02 UTC 2005

The school just bought an HP LaserJet 2430dtn printer for the lab

I was wondering the best way to set it up with K12LTSP.  It comes with
an embedded print server via JetDirect and 64 MB ram.  I configured it,
I think.  Plugged it into the network with network cable.  my test
server (4.4.0 beta)  I established a connection to the printer using the
ip address I set up on the printer

It prints.  If I set it up to share/print, all the work is going through
the server, right?  Last year, when huge print jobs were sent to a
printer attached directly to the server via parallel port, the printing
used up major resources according to TOP.

I was hoping that if the server conncects to the printer via TCP/IP that
jobs would basically pass through the server and most of the processing
would be done on the printer itself.  Would that reduce the load I saw
with the old printer directly connected via parallel to the server?