[K12OSN] HP Laserjet Printer w/embedded jetdirect print server

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Jul 12 04:33:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Liam Marshall wrote:

> Jim McQuillan wrote:
>
> > Liam,
> >
> > there still could be some heavy processing on the server.
> >
> > The issue is, you can feed cups all kinds of file formats, and it will
> > convert those files to postscript or pcl.
> >
> > You can shoot PDF files, JPEG files, HTML, all kinds of stuff, and cups
> > will figure it out.
> >
> > Also, most of the time if you send Postscript to cups, it will
> > re-process it, to make sure the postscript stream conforms to what the
> > printer can handle.
> >
> > The only way I know of to eliminate that processing is to set the
> > printer up in cups as 'RAW', and make sure that you only feed postscript
> > to it.
> >
> > There might be a way to set the 'nice' priority for cups to not drag
> > down the server so badly, at the expense of taking longer to get print
> > jobs out.
> >
> > In my experience tho, i've never had a problem with the processing that
> > takes place for print jobs.
> >
> > Jim McQuillan
> > jam at Ltsp.org
> >

> > ...snip
> >
> if this is true, is there any advantage at all to connecting the printer to
> the server via the network(TCP/IP) connection built in as opposed to direct
> via parallel?  either works for me, I was just looking for the best
> performance

The data should start to print faster, because the network is going to
be so much faster than the parallel port.

Also, with the network, you've got virutually unlimited distance between
the server and the printer.

Maybe that's not important to you, but I prefer the flexibility of
having my printers on the net.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org