[K12OSN] FTP redirect?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jul 12 19:41:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 08:43, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > Otherwise if it is the second issue, just set up the second server the
> > way you want, then throw the switch on your port forwarding.  But I
> > think you are asking about the first one.
>
> Nope, the second.  My users are used to connecting to "ourserver.org"
> for ftp.  The machine that runs email now (thus "ourserver.org") no
> longer hosts home directories -- so I need to have access ftp traffic
> going to "ourserver.org" redirect to "ftp.ourserver.org"
>
> I can do it for outside traffic (via portforwarding on my ipcop
> firewall) -- but I'm not sure how to do it internally, where there is no
> redirection, but rather direct connection to a 10. address.
>
> (I have a bogus DNS server inside our network that points traffic for
> ourserver.org to an internal 10. address)

Why not NFS-mount the home directories into the server with the name
people use for ftp?  As long as the uids match or you have network
authentication it should work nicely.  Alternatively, it is easy enough
to make mail delivery go somewhere else - but you probably don't want
to reconfigure all the clients.

--
 Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com