[K12OSN] MD5 to DES (for osx)

Argh!

It seems that OSX server cannot handle MD5 password encryption via NIS. Is there any way to convert my (linux) system to using DES encryption on passwords instead of MD5?

(Yes, I know LDAP will work, but I don't have enough time to try getting it to work this summer, especially if FDS is around the corner...)

Anyone authenticating OSX via NIS using MD5 encryption on the linux box? If so, what magic did you use?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
-Shawn, who's having a bad week so far...

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director