[K12OSN] 4.4 and nfs server not responding ?

Hi,
I am getting on my workstations...

Doing the pivot_root
e100: eth0 NIC link is up 100 mbps full duplexx
nfs: server 192.168.0.254 not responding, still trying.

The last time I had this error, it was a terrible patch cable ( makes sense )
On a basic install of 4.4p? - no changes but a 10 dot ip on eth1. Workstations DCHP, all the stuff for NFS seems to be running (nfsd, portmap, and mountd). The workstations are PXE 2.0 or above. One is an on-board intel using the e100 driver and the other is a 3com 905TXM card and I get the same error ( thought it was a shared IRQ issue ) Grabbed my running 4.2 k12LTSP and connected to the same switch, same cables and same two workstations and they boot right up like they always do ?
Thanks in advance,
Tom