From: k12osn-bounces redhat com [mailto:k12osn-bounces redhat com] On Behalf
Of David Trask
Sent: Wednesday, 20 July 2005 11:08 a.m.
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Can't log in as root at all. (Using SMB-LDAP)

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 1:09 AM +0000 wrote:
>I don't know if I did something but I can't log in as root at all. Not
>through su, not through ssh, not from a terminal not from using remote
>login with cygwin and not even directly at the server.
>The message I get is "Your home directory is listed as: '/home/root' but
>it does not appear to exist. Do you want to log in with the / (root)
>directory as your home directory? It is unlikely that anything will work
>unless you use a failsafe session."
>
>When I choose yes it says, "The system administrator has disabled your
>account."
>
>I am using SMB-LDAP.
>
>I need to access the root account. What should I do?

Something is wrong....the root user should not map to /home/root.....how
did you get smb-ldap up and running?  Did you use the smbldap-installer?

Assuming you are trying to log in as the root user of that particular
machine....assuming smbldap is set up correctly....it should look for the
local account first.    Can you give us some more info about your
Samba-LDAP installation?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School