[K12OSN] when is release happening?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jul 20 15:00:21 UTC 2005

Liam Marshall wrote:

> I would appreciate a definitive answer/opinion on the pros and cons of
> going with either the centos EL version, or the Fedora Core 4 version.
> Life cycle/support is not really an issue as in our environment I pretty
> much wipe and reload from scratch every summer.  If a better mousetrap
> comes out during the year, I will get it the following summer
>
> This is what I do know.  Using the 4.4 pre1 iso's  I have loaded a test
> server.  Connections from thin clients are fine, and with a little
> tweak, sound is finally working on the thin clients, at least for the
> non web apps.  Ktouch has changed a little( no statistics option like
> the old one) but all the programs I need are there, or I can download
> (StarOffice, etc)

Liam,

Release schedules are posted to the list. Here is the last one posted:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2005-June/msg00612.html

The schedule is slipping a little, as is usual for release schedules.

The 4.2.1EL version is ready to go, it will be finished real-soon-now.
Probably this weekend.

The 4.4.0 version has a couple minor issues outstanding. Such as the VNC
service not being enabled by default. I am also looking into fixing the
ktouch statistics.

As the previous release-schedule post states, the pre-releases can be
upgraded to the final release by using apt-get, up2date, or yum. You
don't have to re-install. If pre1 or pre2 works for you, go for it. Any
changes made between a pre-release and the final release will be picked
up by the software updates.

-Eric