[K12OSN] PXEgrub notes

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Fri Jul 22 16:16:11 UTC 2005

Les,

I did a little work with getting pxegrub compiled (it was a real pain if
I recall correctly...finding a compilable source file stinks... I think
you should get the tar from the SRPM).  I eventually did get it working
in my VMware test thin-client, but I couldn't get the Intel 1000
(gigabit) drivers to work on some of my newer machines (had to
compile/patch the source and it still wouldn't initialize the card
correctly).  Here's some links I gathered:

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/iainr/documentation/dcs_remote_boot/t1.html
http://www.hp.uab.edu/~ed/grub-net
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~steinarh/grub/tutorial.html
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/ding:netboot
http://osdev.berlios.de/netboot.html

Hope some of this helps... I am probably going to revisit it this fall
(I don't like the basic PXELINUX (aka Syslinux/isolinux) text boot, and
I can't get the menu.c32 running).

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School