Re: [K12OSN] LTSP on Sparc

Zouhir Hafidi wrote:

norbert a écrit :

Salut / Hi

Les stations Sparc utilise RARP pour se lancer, du moins c'est ceque les miens exige.....

:-)

The Sparc stations require RARP to launch.. anyway thats what mine require.

just update OpenBoot ...

ZH

Yesterday, I demo'd this very setup for Thomas Jefferson HS out here in Fairfax, VA, and in preparing for said demo, I learned a few things.

Mr. Hafidi is right; you've got to update OpenBoot to v3.31. It was in v3.31 that DHCP booting became supported in addition to the old RARP method. Yes, at last, I finally had time to try this. It works, and pretty well, given that Ultra 5's have built-in 100BaseTX/FullDuplex NICs built into them. :-) This is good, because I have several Ultra 5's waiting to be used as thin clients. However, I needed to modify two lines in the file /opt/ltsp/sparc/etc/lts.conf in order for the mouse to be recognized.

  X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
  X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"

My changes for my Ultra 5's were the following.

  X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "busmouse"
  X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/sunmouse"

I learned that, to update OpenBoot, you've got to have Slowaris installed on the SPARC's hard disk. My guess is that it's because the Solaris boot loader likes the firmware updater program better than SILO does. With GNU/Linux and SILO installed, when you run the OB updater, you get a "FATAL ERROR" message saying that the ELF binary has more than one entry point, so sorry, better luck next time. Looking for a way to do this with a Free Software OS instead of Slowaris, I then installed OpenBSD and tried updating the firmware, but sadly, a similar error pops up with OpenBSD's boot loader. Oh well, it takes about 40 minutes to install Solaris 8 on these boxes. I did so with one hard disk and used that hard disk for all of my other Ultra 5's. This saved several hours.

Once all this is done, this "old" UltraSPARC came right up with the K12LTSP login screen. The UltraSPARC's hard disk can now be removed.

The only thing bad that happens is that TuxType crashes with an X11 opcode error, though TuxMath doesn't. I believe that this is because the X11 version here is an early release candidate of XFree86 4.4.0 and not the final version. I imagine that a later version of XFree86 or X.org would work fine; I just haven't had time to compile it and try it yet. Interestingly enough, I had previously had Red Hat Linux 6.2 for the UltraSPARC installed on it and simply popped "X -query 172.16.3.254 &" at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Why such an ancient version of RHL? It works, that's why. :-) The nice part for software testing purposes is that RHL 6.2 has XFree86 3.3.6, which, as it happened, allowed me to see if I could repro this issue with an older X11 version. TuxType was happy as a clam with 3.3.6. TuxMath didn't seem to mind either way, though. Ah well, hardly a show-stopper.

The end result: I now have a single K12LTSP server that can netboot x86, PMac 52x0, and SPARC boxes as thin clients...simultaneously. How? I have four NICs in this box--three inside, one outside, like so.

eth0 = inside, 172.16.0.254/24, Gig-E fiber (x86 terminals)
eth1 = outside, DHCP, 100BaseTX copper (to the main bldg. LAN)
eth2 = inside, 172.16.2.254/24, 100BaseTX copper (PMac terminals)
eth3 = inside, 172.16.3.254/24, Gig-E copper (SPARC terminals)

Each of these subnets and NICs is sitting in its own VLAN, and all the thin client subnets are being served by dhcpd on the K12LTSP server. Life is good.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>