Re: [K12OSN] Re: PXEgrub notes

On Jul 23, 2005, at 4:45 AM, John Baillie wrote:

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 09:48 -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:

We already had a distro installed on the hd, so editing grub was easy.
If this is what you seek to do, I can get more specific info when I am
at the lab tomorrow.  If I missed something, sorry.

--scott

Hey Scott,

I would appreciate any hints you have on getting this to work.

I found some instructions on using the NT/XP boot loader

http://wiki.etherboot.org/pmwiki.php/Main/LoadingEtherbootWithNTLoader

but using grub would be better. We need to do this for Win 2000 machines
and maybe 98 also.

Will your Win2k and Win98 machines be dual or tri-boot? In other words, do you only want them to boot Winx and as a thin client? If so, I can tell you what lines to put in grub, but I don't know how to tell you to install GRUB. If you are going to make them boot WinX or Linux from the hard drive and also have the LTSP option, then I can tell you how. In order to KISS, I install debian after windows. The debian installer is a champ and it never fails to set grub up to dual-boot between windows and gnu/linux. I am nearly certain that you would have the same experience with FedoraX.

With a functioning and dual-booting GRUB, you now want to edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file. Add a new entry and include *Title* K12LTSPmakestheworldrounder. Now, here is where I really goofed today by not looking at the settings at McKinley. You add a *Kernel* line pointing to /boot/UniversalBootFloppy.img or whatever you call the bootrom that you have copied to /boot. I may be wrong, though. If so, this line should be the *initrd* line, not *kernel*. I don't recollect that you needed the hd line.

Sorry not to copy a specific example. I can next Saturday, and maybe before, but for now this is the best that I can offer.

Thanks,

John

--scott