Re: [K12OSN] [OT]router howto

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 14:40, Dale Sykora wrote:

Terrell,
My client and server can ping 198.6.1.2 and 66.94.234.13(a yahoo.com address) but my client cannot ping yahoo.com. Thus it appears to be a dns issue. Below is a copy of my dhcpd.conf, iptables, and route. What other info would be useful to post?

[root rlm ~]# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
{
option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255;
deny bootp;
option domain-name "robert.morton";
option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;

Does the server (10.0.0.1) use itself for DNS (look at /etc/resolv.conf) and if so, does it work). Try 'dig' at the server and client.

I agree. It looks like you're pointing your clients to use 10.0.0.1 for DNS resolution, which I'm guessing is the IP address of your GNU/Linux router. If this is true, then is this router also running a DNS server (e. g. BIND or djbdns)? If not, then you will either need to stand up a DNS server and reflect that in your dhcpd.conf, or you can simply use the DNS server(s) that your ISP gave you. I have one internally (my K12LTSP server, which I'm using to type this email), so that's what I use.

--TP