Re: [K12OSN] Setting memory limits in lts.conf

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 13:06 -0700, Eric Harrison wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, John Baillie wrote:
>
> > Has anyone heard of, or tried the following?
> >

> > " I strongly suggest you set suitable memory limits
> > in /etc/security/limits.conf. I use:
> >
> > @users soft rss 512000
> > @users soft memlock 256000
> > @users soft as 768000
> > # Set to 7168 by RH defaults
> > # users soft nproc 5000
> >
> > Just to stop users from forkbombing the system accidentally, or a
> > runaway process from eating all the physical RAM and forcing the system
> > into heavy swapping. It works extremely well. Adapt the above, of
> > course, to your memory allocations etc. "
>
> You can also edit /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp-limits and set K12LTSP_LIMITS="YES"
>
> -Eric

Interesting -

I wasn't aware of k12ltsp-limits. I need to experiment and see what
happens from users perspective when a threshold is reached. It looks
like both k12ltsp-limits and limits.conf accomplish the same thing with
the limits.conf method having the added ability to assign settings by
group.

All this must not come into play too much though, as as I found only one
reference to it in the archives.

John