[K12OSN] Homework DropBox Idea

Thomas E. Haynes haynest at mchsi.com
Mon Jul 25 01:28:24 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Liam Marshall
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 7:35 PM
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: [K12OSN] Homework DropBox Idea

I don't want other classes to be able to mess with their files.  so
compsci kids can't mess with saps files, etc.  But I wanted to take it
further and say that the compsci kids could hand in their finished work
into the /homework/compsci folder, but not delete or change the file
once it is there

in other words I want the class homework folders to have write once
access/no read access/and no delete access.  So they can save/drop the
file into the directory, but not change it or delete it once there

So after that long preamble, what rights do I set on a folder to
acomplish this?  You should know that each class has a distinct gid so I
can set rights using that, I think

I am thinking, if the rights can be set like I want, that users can drag
their completed assignments into the appropriate homework "dropbox" and
they are done, and can't cheat off of, or trash, other classmate's files

advise greatly appreciated

Here I what I have done for a class at our school.

[programming]
comment = Mr. Powell's Class
admin users = powelld haynest
browseable = no
guest ok = no
read only = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mode = 700
force create mode = 700
directory mode = 700
force directory mode = 700
veto files = /.*/
path = /home/programming

Students can drop things but not view or delete the work of others. All the
students have accounts on this server, powelld is the teacher, and haynest
is me. The teacher and I have access to all of it, and we can delete, etc.

I say don't make it too complex. The kids can figure out where to drop
things, and if someone from the Humanities class drops a file in there it is
not the end of the world.

I may not have the most efficient set of rules for this share. While I am a
nice guy, I am a little simple (and really a classroom teacher doing the
admin stuff on the side).

Regards...   Tom