[K12OSN] Mounting /server/home via NFS on a MACos Tiger server

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 16:09:06 UTC 2005

We have recently changed our Samba PDC to use the excellent
Smbldap-installer and everything seems to working on the PC side.

The problem is we are trying to setup a MacOs 10.4 (Tiger) server to
manage the 36 Mac clients we have. We have out source the installation
but the guy doing the installing is having trouble getting the clients
to mount there home drives from the Samba server.

We he is trying to do is to mount the nfs share setup by the smbldap
installer script and then getting this to be shared to the clients as
they login.

I have to admit I'm totally out of my depth with this. What other
options do we have, I tried to mount smb://server/homes but of course
this didn't work as it doesn't know the username to mount.

I've had a surf and the only thing I can find is people moaning that
"tiger is bust" for smb and to check that encrypted passwords are on.
How do I do that, this is a bog standard install of samba on the PDC
using the rpms from Samba.org

Any idea's or pointers ??

Thanks
Brian Chivers