[K12OSN] Homework DropBox Idea

Burke Almquist balmquist at mindfirestudios.com
Mon Jul 25 19:52:17 UTC 2005

     How about just emailing the assignment? If that is not possible,
other posters have given good suggestions regarding the drop box. The
only thing I'd add is the "sticky bit" to the folder.
     A better solution, though slightly less convenient, is to set
the perms on each students home dir to 770. If you are using the
default Fedora/Redhat user setup, then each user also had a new
default group created in which they are the only user. Maybe each
student's group should have their teacher (or possibly all staff)
added to it so they can view their files at any time for any reason.
This would also make it possible for a teacher to "pickup"
assignments, rather than for students to hand them in. Like I said,
less convenient, but it is simpler and less prone to cheating attempts.