Re: [K12OSN] Active Directory - SMB/LDAP Switch

Kevin Verheyen wrote:
I would be interested too in looking into these's reg files :-)

Kevin

Op 27-jul-05, om 13:02 heeft Brian Chivers het volgende geschreven:

Mark Gumprecht wrote:

Jason Ingalls wrote:

Perhaps the most important lesson we learned was that the profile directory and
home directory MUST be different! What we decided to do was use roaming
profiles, but exclude the Desktop and My Documents directories from roaming to
cut down on logon/logoff time (by merging a .reg file via logon script). We
instead chose to use folder redirection (by merging a .reg file via logon
script) for those two folders. We thought (wrongly) that since these folders
would be exluded from roaming the redirected folders could live amongst the the
other profile directories. What this resulted in was files that would randomly
disappear from the Desktop and My Documents folders. Ultimately we stuck with
using folder redirection, but we redirected them to the home directory and put
the profiles in /home/profiles/username. This made me happier than putting the
profiles in the default location because we have a large partition for /home.

Does anyone have a howto on redirect or a url?
Thanks
Mark

Which bit you do want to know to do.

I can send you our reg files that I use to redirect My Doc's to there home drives

Brian

Just looked through what my login script etc actually do and it's not a reg entry that alter the My Doc's it's actually my KIX login script that alters the location.

I can let you all have this if you like but looking at it the reg hive below is what it alters. If you look at the section "Personal" it is pointed to p:\\ which is the drive I map for the users home dir. If you look through you could alter loads of stuff like where Favourites etc are saved, which I might start doing.

Brian

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
"AppData"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Application Data"
"Cookies"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Cookies"
"Desktop"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Desktop"
"Favorites"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Favorites"
"NetHood"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\NetHood"
"Personal"="p:\\"
"My Pictures"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\My Documents\\My Pictures"
"PrintHood"=""
"Recent"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Recent"
"SendTo"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\SendTo"
"Start Menu"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Start Menu"
"Templates"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Templates"
"Programs"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Start Menu\\Programs"
"Startup"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Start Menu\\Programs\\StartUp"
"Local Settings"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Local Settings"
"Local AppData"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Local Settings\\Application Data"
"Cache"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files"
"History"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian.TANGIER.000\\Local Settings\\History"
"Fonts"="C:\\WINNT\\Fonts"
"Administrative Tools"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\brian\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Administrative Tools"

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily the views of Portsmouth College