Re: [K12OSN] No Volume Control Elements and/or devices found

I still have problems using the attached file (as well as modifying the stock file). Just for kicks, I did a fresh K12LTSP 4.2.1EL install, which does not have the "No Volume Control" error. I took the 4.2.1EL /etc/gconf directory and used it to replace the /etc/gconf directory on a fresh K12LTSP 4.4.0 install. I created a new user, logged in, and got the "No Volume Control" error.

I've also tried Gideon's other suggestion of using gstreamer-properties
to set the input to OSS and the output to ESD. Not much success there
either (which is to be expected, as Gideon noted this does the same
thing as replacing the %gconf.xml)

The only way I can consistently eliminate this problem is by removing
the mixer from the panel by default:

	rm -rf /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/applets/mixer

Does anyone see removing the sound mixer from the panel by default to
be a show-stopper? The mixer doesn't work when you log in from a terminal,
only the server is affected. In previous versions, when you log in from
a terminal the mixer would silently error out and not load.

Any other ideas?

-Eric