Re: [K12OSN] advice on surplus hardware

John Baillie wrote:
On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 17:18 -0600, Ben Nickell wrote:

I have the opportunity to salvage some old hardware. I would appreciate
advice on whether any of this is worthwhile for use in thin clients. I'm only interested in it if it is easy or will work out of the box or
could replace a less capable part in another system (network or video
card).

Here are the specs.

AT power supply
P1 200 MMX processors
96mb of RAM in (6) 72pin SIMMS
3com 905-TX rev B 10/100 network cards with bootrom slot (Don't think it will PXE boot though, doesn't it have to be Rev C to
PXE boot?)
ATI 3d Rage II+ DVD video cards, video ram unknown.

Does anyone have experience with this hardware?

Hello Ben,

We started out with the same specs on our first 20 terminals. We used
the rom-o-matic boot floppies. The existing video cards were 2MB. We
added 8mb pci video cards to them and it made a huge difference.  I just
did a quick google and I see they are still selling for about 24.00.
Look for Jaton Trident 9880 8MB PCI.

John

Can you elaborate on how the 8MB video cards "made a huge difference"; did the terminals seem to run faster (because the screens updated faster) ? Look better?

Petre