Re: [K12OSN] [OT] Firewire or USB2 in a softRAID setup

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
Is there another reason for the external firewire or usb other than mass
storage?

Yeah -- I *have* them already. :) The setup will ideally be:

(2) 300GB drives internally (IDE)
(4) 300GB firewire drives
(2) 300GB USB2 drives

For a 2.1TB RAID5 array. Like I said, I have all the equipment already. If the conversion of our tapes to digital format (playable over our network) is deemed worthwhile, then I'll go with an actual beefier server to manage the storage. I'm trying to shoestring the thing now, because it's only in the trial stage.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director