[K12OSN] K12LTSP and clustering

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Jul 29 17:51:34 UTC 2005

> I'd like to now for our new setup if it is possible to make a
> redundant cluster of LTSP servers in which all management is done
> central, and when f.e. one servers drops out the other ones
> will take
> over?
> Eventually combined with load balancing?

I think the best idea I have seen here in that respect is to build a
central auth server, central home server, and a central DHCP server.
The build your ltsp servers set to mount /home from the central /home
server and to auth to the central auth server.  Then build an internal
DNS server and set up DNS to round robin between your ltsp servers.
Then setup your dhcpd.conf on the dhcp server and lts.conf files on the
other ltsp servers to use a domain name instead of an IP to call on
everything.  Be sure that dhcp is turned off on all but the master dhcp
server.

I think this is all theory yet, but it may give you a start.

If all of this does work I was thinking in the past it may be very
helpful to incorporate this into the ltsp setup to choose if the server
is master or slave and such to make clustering easier.  Then if master
is chosen choose which services it is the master for, and if slave is
chosen allow entry of master servers to report to.  Make it an advanced
setup or something, but leave the default the way it is currently.

When getting over 40-60 machines it seems that clustering is a must,
sure would be nice to have this feature available.