[K12OSN] Saving money on memory

Dave Hopkins dahopkins at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 11:04:21 UTC 2005

Bill Bardon wrote:

>On Thursday, Jun 02 Dave Hopkins wrote:
>

>>Not necessarily advocating them, but check out asacomputers.com.  You
>>can get very close to your $2200.00 limit with dual cpus (in either
>>xeons or opterons), 4GB memory, dual nics for some of the
>>configurations.  However, I don't know how you would get hardware RAID
>>and still keep the price below $2200.00, but ... who knows.  I know
>>that  some on the list have custom built systems as well for around
>>this price.
>>

>I wouldn't mind going with software RAID, I have several servers running
>that way and all are good performers.
>
>Have you ordered from asacomputers.com?  I did some checking and
>couldn't find a system that matched those specs - got a link?  Thanks
>for the input.

I actually just ordered a customized Opteron Tb storage server (for
backups) a couple of days ago, but couldn't find anything (good or bad)
about them, so ... hoping that their service is as good as their
customer service rep was :)

Anyhow, start at http://www.asaservers.com/system_dept.asp?dept_id=SD-051,
pick  Supermicro 7044H-T 4U DDR SATA EM64T,  comes in at $2227.50 +
shipping w/
Dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 800FSB S604 CPU
4Gb DDR PC2700 ECC REG LP Memory
2 SATA 40Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150 drives
CDRW 48x12x48
Pre-install Linux (Fedora Core 3)
Basic warranty (3Yr labor/1 yr parts)
Dual on-board 10/1000 Nics.

Or start with: http://www.asaservers.com/system_dept.asp?dept_id=SD-056
Pick 1U DP Opteron 4 SATA DDR Server, end up with $2036.26 + shipping w/
Dual AMD Opteron 242 1Mb CPU
4Gb DDR PC2700
2 SATA 40Gb 7200 RPM drives
Dual on-board 10/1000 Nics.

I am not sure that SATA will have the performance you are after
(especially in software raid) if you are putting the home directories on
this system. (I have a personal preference for SCSI).  Also, you really
want 1Gb Network connections for the server with the clients at 100Mb
connections.  Otherwise, with a reasonable load the system will feel
sluggish.  If you have another server that hosts the home directories
(and NFS/SMB mount them), then I think the SATA wouldn't be an issue for
either system.  (The first has plenty of expansion, the second is more
limited).

As Timothy points out in a separate response, if you are willing to
order each piece separately, you might get even better.  For his specs,
use the other memory supplier, and drop the SCSI Drives to 18Gb or 36Gb,
you can probably get back to your price range.

Sorry for the length.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins