[K12OSN] OT? Fixing an Open Proxy

Debbie Schiel debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Sat Jun 4 22:04:48 UTC 2005

John Baillie wrote:
> Debbie Schiel Wrote:
>
> They say I have to fix my open proxy, and provide information that goes way over
> my head. Can anyone provide a simple HOWTO for fixing an open proxy?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Debbie
>
> Debbie,
>
> Can you give us a little information about the server? What OS, Version #s, etc.
> Do you use the server for tasks other than web services?
>
> Here is some info:
> http://spamlinks.net/prevent-secure-proxy.htm
>
> John

Hi John, It's a K12LTSP on a PIII Redhat Fedora 2 and we use the box as
a proxy server and apache web server - but not for mail (because I don't
know how to set that up yet - apparently much harder to do). The
teachers are able to access a mysql database of student assessments from
home using this server. My background (as well as teaching) is web
design so I'm OK with web/php stuff but Linux/ports/proxies are all
relatively new.

Sudev's suggestions are straightforward enough and sound like what we
need so I'll give them a go when next at school and see if that solves
the problem.

Thanks also for the link. I can feel another learning curve coming on!

Debbie