[K12OSN] Sound inside flash sites

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Jun 6 13:20:37 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Monday, June 6, 2005 at 9:08 AM +0000 wrote:
>Hi K12OSN list!
>
>I have a problem with thin clients and sound. Sound works fine on the
>thin clients (playing ogg's and other formats), but I don't have any
>sound in flash sites in firefox.
>
>Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Multitudes of ways, but I'll let you know what I've done.  I'm using nasd
(in lts.conf....  SOUND_DAEMON = nasd)....then if using IceWM make sure
that the sound stuff loads first....below is my IceWM session file on my
server (K12LTSP 4.1)

#!/bin/bash

# initiate sound configs
if [ -f /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh ]
then
        . /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh
fi

# icewm configurations
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/icewm ]
then
        . /etc/sysconfig/icewm
fi

# use nautilus?
if [ "$ICEWM_USE_NAUTILUS" = "YES" ]
then
        /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
        /usr/bin/nautilus &
fi

# use session or just plain icewm?
if [ "$ICEWM_USE_SESSION" = "YES" ]
then
#       exec /usr/bin/icewm-session
        exec /usr/bin/icewm
else
        exec /usr/bin/icewm
fi

I can say that many people have done different things to get flash sound
working in LTSP....check the archives and the wiki.  (I think I documented
what I've done in the wiki as well   http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School