[K12OSN] Sound inside flash sites

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Mon Jun 6 13:25:48 UTC 2005

Shawn Powers wrote:
> Are you using nasd or esd?  If nasd, I have no idea (sorry, I've never
> gotten that to work) if esd -- there's a "hack" to make it work.

I'm using esd.

>  From http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Releases%3A4.2.0:
>
>     ltsp_esound_server-0.7-k12ltsp.0.4.2
>       /etc/cron.hourly/ltsp_esd_hack
>         * A "hack" to make sound in flash to work. Not enabled by
>           default, you must set FLASH_SOUND_HACK=YES in
>           /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp to turn this on
>
> That's if you're running a 4.2.x version of K12LTSP, otherwise, you can
> still make it work, but it requires more typing an explanation on my
> part. :)

No, I'm running the aaancient 4.1.1 version of LTSP, and it's not on K12
  (sorry, used to using K12, so I posted it to this list first).

> The super short version is:
>
> /tmp/.esd folder needs to exist on the server
> /tmp/.esd/socket needs to exist (as an empty file) on the server

I think that helps :)

> those need to be recreated, as they disappear occasionally (cron is your
> friend here)
>
> There is also some symbolic linking that needs to occur, but I dont'
> remember offhand the names and locations of the needed symlink.  If you
> search the k12osn list for "/tmp/.esd/socket" you're bound to come up
> with the discussion from earlier this year...
>
> If you need more help, just holler. :)

OK, thanks. The problem is that this school is a bit far out, perhaps I
should try to set up a local system to test... thanks!

-Jonathan