[K12OSN] is k12ltsp samba setup same as FC3?

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 13:52:04 UTC 2005

Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm just wondering if Eric has added anything to make
> samba setup especially easy, or if it's all standard
> FC3 stuff.  The reason I'm asking is that I've been
> successful adding a samba server to a particular
> network using k12ltsp, but not with ubuntu or knoppix.
>  I'm a novice at Windows integration and I don't know
> what I'm doing wrong w/ the other distros (the
> smb.conf files look pretty much the same in all
> cases).
>
> So anyway, for additional samba servers I'm wondering
> if doing a straight FC3 install will give me the same
> good results, or is there something in the K12LTSP
> packaging that has made this easier for a dummy like
> me.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Rob

I've just built a Samba 3 / OpenLDAP server using the brilliant installer that Eric & Matt have created.

The initial install took about 30 minute & the script 5 minutes.

The only thing I did slightly different was to do a minimal install of FC3 and the used YUM to
install the OpenLDAP stuff and the rpm's from the Samba site to get the very latest versions.

If you like a copy of my ROUGH notes I made dureing the install let me know and I'll try to get them
typed up and mailed over.

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College