[K12OSN] 64 bit Intel with HT or 64 bit AMD dual core?

Chris Thomas cwt137 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 17:16:38 UTC 2005

AMD Dual Core is better.

1. HT really isn't 2 real processors, so you can only
get 30% - 50% performance increase with software HT
aware. Basically how HT works is that there is the
main(real) CPU, and a virtual(fake), CPU. When the
main CPU doesn't have anything to do and a lot of
other conditions are meet (the state of the registers
and stuff inside the cpu) the virtual CPU is allowed
to execute code. For more info on this, look at this
detailed article:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/hyperthreading.ars/1

2. Intel's EMT isn't as good of a 64-bit solution as
AMD's x86-64 solution in my opinion.

3. Dual Core CPUs are two real CPUs in one package, so
it will get the same performance as a dual CPU box
(all else being equal).

4. AMD solutions are useally cheaper than an
equivelant Intel solution. You can probly get a top of
the line Intel Xeon with EMT for the same price as a
new Opteron Dual Core. And in my opinion, they have
the same ammount of quality.

Intel is a joke. In general, their CPU's have less
performance at the same cost.  The only reason why
they sell so many CPU's is because they are the leader
in the industry and they are a Household Name or Name
Brand. People are affraid to buy non name brand becuse
they think they are going to get less quality. Also,
they have many deals with vendors that lock them into
Intel.

Chris

--- Jim Christiansen <christiansen_j at hotmail.com>