[K12OSN] LTSP for video-streaming room?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jun 10 14:34:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 08:31, The Prof wrote:
> I am surprised that gigabit would not be needed.  I thought if the
> setup was that 30+ computers are all watching different videos, you'd
> need a very high-capacity network.

The switch manages traffic to individual ports so only the server sees
the combined traffic.

> Has anyone used videoLan for this sort of thing at this level?

If you are using thin clients you will likely have a problem running
more than a few instances on the server.  This would scale much better
as a local app, and in the special case of everyone watching the
same video the server can multicast a single stream.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com