[K12OSN] Web Based Email

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Sat Jun 11 04:24:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 15:58 -0400, John Warf wrote:
> We are currently looking at going away from POP3 email to a web based
> solution.  Anyone have any good suggestions for a server program that
> is free or low cost.  Below are things that I would love to have
> included.

After seeing all the replies my $0.02 worth....

Already included in the k12 is squirrelmail / webmail. On the K12 server
we enabled apache, dovecot, sendmail and configured fetchmail to collect
mail from our internet mail server as well as from individual users POP
accounts (if they wish). Users are able to use evolution / kmail as
independent mail clients or firefox / mozilla as webmail client. All
this is running with load level rarely going high and slowing down the
services.

I am using the same server (CPU=AMD64 Mem=2GB Drive=2xSCSIxRAID1
NIC=100Mbps) to serve 35~30 concurrent terminals for office applications
as well as mail / intranet (although very minimal) service. Earlier we
had a single CPU Intel2.8Mhz on 865 mother board for the same location
but with more than 25 users on line it started going slow.

Food for thought?
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux