[K12OSN] Web Based Email

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jun 11 17:34:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 05:42, Brian Chivers wrote:

> Have a look at www.horde.org with there IMP webmail system. We currently
> use it and it's really good. Saying that we are moving away this year
> and starting to use a system based on OpenWebmail, the reason you might
> ask, one word "Webdisks". This gives student & staff the ability to
> upload & download files from there home dir actually from home all
> through a nice https enviroment cutting down the risks.

If you have ssh open, anyone can copy files with scp at the command
line or an assortment of gui tools like winscp for windows.  The
usermin mate to webmin also provides web email and file transfer.

Note that as long as the email service really uses imap and the
web interface(s) work with that, you can run any number of different
services concurrently and let people use what they want.  For people
that use email a lot from a small set of machines, a 'real' imap client
like evolution or outlook will be a lot easier to use than a web
interface and just as secure when run over ssl and using smtp
authentication, but it is nice to have the web interface too for
occasional access from machines that don't have your preferred client
set up.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com