[K12OSN] RE: K12OSN Digest, Vol 16, Issue 15

Sean Harbour SHarbour at nwresd.k12.or.us
Mon Jun 13 20:10:34 UTC 2005

>> We should be able to choose any recorded content, play pause
>> and rewind from any PC on the network. If anyone is
>> interested, I'll post the results.

>Note that unless you want to stream multicast to many clients at
>once you can skip all the complicated server side stuff and let the
>clients access the files directly via NFS or samba.

>--
> Les Mikesell
>  les at futuresource.com

Sure, it's simpler, but not better. That way involves having to install the correct video codecs on each machine, then trying to manually browse through a list of machine generated filenames that look like numerical gibberish. The frontend application takes care of all that.

I tried it out on my home network this weekend. A DVD quality file will not stream smoothly over a 10Mb hd link. Almost, but not quite. 100 Mb hd works fine. I would expect 1 or 2, possibly 3 clients on 802.11g would work also at DVD quality. It really is pretty slick, the quality is excellent. Plus, multicasting is out, the students need to be able to rewind and replay individually on demand. I've almost got it working on a PowerPC client also, it looks promising. Hopefully this week.

Sean Harbour
  sharbour at nwresd.k12.or.us